
Let me tell you something...
God has a way of blessing us when we least expect it. I don't even remember asking for some of His blessings, but truly He knows my heart and its needs more than I do. It is out of His incomprehensible kindness, mercy, and compassion that He does this unasked miracle and belatedly do I become grateful or even aware of it. let me describe such a time for you.
I went through my past four years of college taking the friends God gave me for granted. I somehow thought it was something about me - my personality and aloof and humorous nature, that people liked and that is why we became friends. How arrogant of me. A simple objective explanation like that is ridiculous, no matter what any Chicken Soup for the Soul says. Forming a lasting friendship has nothing to do with a willful decision on either one of our parts. I have come to realize that it has to be Divine intervention.
I met one of my closest friends, Hira, this way. I wasn't looking for a friend, let alone the confidant, soul-sista, and psychiatrist she would become for me. No, I wasn't looking. I wasn't yearning. I wasn't lacking. I wasn't alone. Or so I thought. Ahumdulillah, God knew better.
She always says that when she met me, I brought her out of her shell, introduced her to the wider world in a way. I am unworthy of her praises because she still can't grasp that she has done so much more for me. I have experienced the genuine concern for my well being, happiness, and spiritual soul from only a select few people and never in such a selfless way as Hira.
I thank God with infinite gratitude for this unforeseen, unasked, and awe-inspiring blessing and pray that I may be worthy of her friendship in the Hereafter as well.
My conclusion?
"A true friend is the greatest of all blessings, and that which we take the least care to acquire."
-- La Rochefoucauld (1665)
May we always remember to be grateful. Ameen.
1 comment:
Haha..that last hydro post was funny.
My trip to Canada was fun. What's that?..you didn't ask about my trip.
Hehe (nervous, awkward laughter).
Uhh..i'm not purposely avoiding talk of this post..noo..not me..
..especially not b/c you singled me out...and mentioned my name so many times...at least I never mentioned your name in my post..maybe I thought I was saving you from the embarrasment that I now feel..ehehehe.
Sigh..so what have you been reading to inspire such a post? eh? Too much credit to me you give (That's right..I speak like Yoda when I'm nervous). But seriously, how we met, how we formed this famous friendship..I cannot exactly remember. I do know that I'm incredibly thankful. Spring break marks the halfway point of this semester, and indicates that we have only a few more months of aimless wandering, of computer lab fun, of hours of witty remarks intertwined with ageless wisdom.
No..it cannot be. What we have formed is rare and true, and will continue despite our distance, inshaAllah. I often used to ask my mom, how will I find a best friend? I've been in college for a couple years, ppl have found their groups, their compadres, and I was left out. I missed my chance, best friends don't just fall from the sky. She'd reassure me and tell me to remain hopeful. Maybe if you'd had Ecol and Evol as a junior, maybe if I had registered an hour too late and not gotten into the class..things would have been different. But it was God's will and compassion. I don't exaggerate when I say I met you when I needed you the most. My life would be indescribably different had I not.
Post a Comment