
Let me tell you something...
Life Lesson #27: Use tact when faced with the abrupt news of your friends' engagements, no matter that you're about to go into cardiac arrest from shock.
When: Junior and Senior Year, (a new engagement per month, seriously)
Where: Anywhere. No where is safe. These announcements just spring on you and scream, "Gotcha!!"
What happened, monapoly?:
As many of you know, when a truly shocking and unexpected event occurs, our societal, cultural, and religious rules of tact rarely catch up with our tongues. I have witnessed this personally and specifically when it comes to people's intense verbal reactions to friends' engagement announcements. For once, these unfortunate incidents of tactlessness didn't happen to me (Thank Allah). I am truly blessed at least in this department it seems.
Here are some of the highly entertaining remarks I've heard over the years in response to the phrase, "So guys, I got engaged."
1. "I think I'm going to throw up."
2. "I never thought it would happen!"
3. "HAHAHA....oh, you're serious????"
4. "Sigh, another one? Looked like I missed the train again!...(belatedly) Oh by the way, congrats."
5. "I wish I got to update my Facebook relationship status too."
The list goes on and on. Why does this happen though? Why does our mouth keep going, even when our brain screams, "STOP Idiot!"? Well first, it is important that we recognize that we are very happy for our friends and pray the best for the new couple. However, that being said,all we can think of is how our newly engaged friends have just allowed someone really important into their lives. Correction, not only into their lives, but into their hearts and souls as well. Where does that leave the rest of us, even the married rest of us? I'll tell you: it leaves us on the outside looking in, not getting inside jokes, and being awkwardly ignored. Perpetual third wheel, thy name is Mona. Most importantly, the bonds of secrecy, friendship, and love that we had with each other will now be shared not just with anyone, but (gasp) a male! (ewww....cooties) It's just too much to bear.
My conclusion?
Friends who have decided to scare the crud out of your buddies recently by getting engaged, you should remember that we were there before the new punks...errr....I mean loves of your lives and want laughter, love, and time with you guys too....that is until we bite the marriage bullet as well. From that point, you guys are on your own.
4 comments:
and just because your friend says "i'm going to throw up" doesn't mean she's not happy for you :)
very true. We love all of you punks who left us for married life. ;)
whatever yo. hater. hurry up and get over here so we can double date:)
#5 is sounding familiar...
Post a Comment