Friday, May 9, 2008

Life Lesson #10a: Carolina In My Mind (Freshman Year)


Let me tell you something...

Life Lesson #10: In my future academic, social, and general life trials, "I'll be going to Carolina in my mind."

Graduation is on Sunday. I'm going to be joining my fellow UNC seniors in a sea of Carolina Blue graduation gowns as we say goodbye to our 4 years as undergraduates here. I have never felt so emotional or reflective about leaving a place like I do about UNC. Thus, I dedicate these next four blog posts to the amazing memories I had as a Carolina student.

Today will be about Freshman year. Each point has a long story of its own. But for once, I will keep them concise.

Freshman Year:

-Coming late to my first class as an undergraduate and having to make an entire row get up for me because the only available seat was in the middle.

-Getting my photo published in the DTH, which made it look like I was an expert tabla player, when in reality I can't even get the simplest beat down.

-Meeting Essraa Bayoumi in the pit for the first time as she asked my hijabed self the following question, "Hey, are you Muslim?....err when is the first MSA meeting?"

-Getting totally soaked in the rain on my way to class at Hanes Art Center (the other side of the world) because I was the dumb freshman who refused to carry an umbrella.

-Having lunch religiously every MWF with Sumreen, Kristen, Essraa, and Jamila.

-Alienating the majority of MSA at a social dinner because I was one of two girls who refused to sit at the same table as the brothers.

-Realizing that Biology professors at UNC has absolutely no sympathy for the fact that yes, I do have other classes to study for besides Genetics.

-Getting roped into being MC and co-organizer for the First Annual Muslim Jewish Artfest. Little did I know how much time and love I would dedicate to this event for the next 3 years.

-Purposefully wearing black in mourning the day George W. Bush somehow won his second term as the dumbest president to ever hold office.

-Getting elected for the first time to be on Shura for MSA, while the graduating president told me (jokingly, I hope), "I really can't believe people voted for you." Well, I couldn't either.


There are so many more, but these came to me at the speed of light. I hope to share Sophomore Year with you soon, but it might have to wait until after I get back from Umrah, Turkey and Greece.

My conclusion? Here's to you Class of 2008! We did it! (....did what exactly, I don't know....but, commencement speakers always tend to say that, so I did too)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

haha i just read this post. man that question was a knee jerk reaction, i was so excited and awkward i didn't know how to start the conversation. not only did i get to meet you, but i also knew the way to the free planners! thanks mona! haha