Friday, June 6, 2008

Life Lesson #10c: Carolina in My Mind (Junior Year)


Let me tell you something...

Junior Year was a year for intense social, academic, and personal change. The world around me was churning and I was swept up in the tide. See if you can understand what I mean through the following list of utter craziness that took place my Junior Year at UNC.

- It was the first time we lived away from our parents on campus and I understood the value of knowing how to cook. Ok, I amend. I understood the value of knowing a friend who could cook, living with said friend, and letting them feed me their experiments so I wouldn't starve.

- It was the first time a very close friend announced something other than medical school admissions, a good test score, or the birth of a niece or nephew. It was the first time one of my close friends announced their engagement to be married and of course the parental pressure was on since then. Thanks punk.

- It was the first time I took a step back from being super involved in MSA because of the huge academic load I brought upon myself and realized how much I utterly missed it.

-It was the first time I appreciated good prime time TV and understood a few things about myself including how in love I am with the sarcasm of House MD, how stupid I am when it comes to understanding Law and Order, how impatient I am when it comes to putting up with even a minute of the fake drama of Grey's Anatomy, and how bewildered I am that people can actually understand and duplicate Rachael Ray's supposedly easy 30-minute meals.

- It was the first time I started loving my science classes at UNC now that the dreaded "weed-out" bio classes were finally over. I wasn't a complete failure it seems.

- It was my first time trying authentic Vietnamese food in my senior roommates' determination to eat at every restaurant on Franklin before graduating. And it became not my first time getting violently sick after experimenting with new restaurants.

My Conclusion? Junior Year was definitely a time of firsts for me. Little did I know it was just preparing me for the psychotics of the year ahead.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, so many of these are about me. As it should be. Well done, Monapoly.

Sana Ansari said...

you aint the only hydro with a blog now

Ayesha said...

1) um, hello. somebody ought to tell me when you start a blog. TAIYYABA???
2) i WAS a complete failure. ah well. complete failures can still go on to lead fulfulling lives in other arenas :)
3)yo, salaams! like, how was umrah???