Saturday, June 7, 2008

Life Lessons #10d: Carolina in My Mind (Senior Year)


Let me tell you something...

Now I'm really excited with this post, not because it was senior year, but because since the events mentioned were so recent, I actually remember them in Technicolor detail. Junior and Sophomore year were fading from my memory pretty fast. So without further delay, here are my precious memories from Senior Year. Maybe you can relate. Maybe you were a part of the mayhem. Or maybe you were a witness. All I have to say is that a pang still stings my chest as I think that I may never have these days again.

- Meeting one of my best friends in the world (next to my Mom and sister) who really understood what made me tick and understood and spit back at me in typical Hira fashion exactly who I am and who I want to be even when I didn't know myself.

-Getting my first speeding ticket ever for going 35 in a 20 mph zone after the first MSA meeting of the year. A sign to stay away from MSA??? I think so. Did I heed it??? No. duh.

- Finally establishing my own identity rather than as the younger half of HanaMona. Like, which one is which, again?

- Learning patience in all things especially when it comes to medical school admissions. I realized this year that "you plan, and God plans, and indeed God is the best of planners". Alhumdulillah, I couldn't be more excited or happier.

- Realizing that sometimes the truth is the worst possible thing to say especially when it hurts someone no matter how good your intention. Don't lie but if it doesn't need to be absolutely positively said and the other person is not getting the well-intentioned message, just let it go.

-Being witness to a constant bombardment of engagement announcements. I was so happy for all of them that I found myself congratulating people who were from the minority who were not engaged and consequently feeling pretty stupid.

- On the same line of thought, asking a friend when the big wedding day was and then being told that the engagement had been off for over 2 months and no, they weren't even friends anymore. oops.

-Finally bonding heart and soul with the senior Muslimahs after four years of virtually ignoring each other despite three of us having the same major.

-Finding myself in a role model position for the freshman MSA girls and then realising they taught and supported me just as much as I was supposed to be helping them.

- Wandering aimlessly all over campus with Hira discussing every subject under the sun but never coming to any conclusion. Our conversations were always open-ended to ensure we would have something to continue discussing/disputing/laughing about the next day.

-Watching sappy romantic comedies, Victorian novel adaptations, and the Princess Bride with Hira and Manal in the MRC while giving the impression that it was for a class to the workers there just so we could use the screening room instead of the little cubicles.

- Getting people equally addicted and annoyed of my overuse of the terms, "hater" "punk" and "emo" in every sentence including the prim and proper Ola (haha I love you, punk).

- Finally achieving happiness in my heart concerning my future career, friends, family and life after the completion of Umrah. May Allah continue to make me be aware of, appreciate and be content with the many blessings He bestows on me everyday. My Umrah resulted in this priceless gift and I am ever grateful for it.

My Conclusion? It's been great remembering, laughing, and even getting tearful about this memories but now it's finally time for me to create new ones, with new people, places, and experiences but insha'Allah never forgetting those who walked this path with me. They will always be in my heart and no matter where I go, Carolina is my home and will always be in my mind.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

your forgot to say that you would also stay in touch, punk.

:0)

monapoly said...

I would love to stay in touch if I knew who you were. haha. =)

Hira said...

Whoaa..when did u update this..out of the blue i came to your blog..and found 3 new posts!! I can't contain my enthusiasm. I'm so glad I could contribute to so many of your senior memories. It's true we touched the same subjects over and over again..haha..but I'd like to think we reached at least a few conclusions..haha.
I seriously laughed out loud when I read the MRC comment..haha..remember when someone told us we couldn't use the screening room..and we were like..uhh..that other guy let us use it..and then the other guy walked up and totally pwned the first guy. hahaha.
Mann..I need to write down memories like this before I forget.

Ayesha said...

oh, to be a college graduate again. well i guess i still am a graduate. it was just a while ago. 1997 man! how old does that make me? is it even the same campus? did you have long unproductive nights on the second floor of davis, too? or between-class romps on the sunny quad in front of wilson library, under the grand old oaks?
you're right, you'll never have these days again - so it's good you've written this down! keep this in mind though: my friend kiran and i vowed, once we graduated, that we would never look back on college as the BEST years of our lives, though, because we were going to keep making it better every year... :) inshallah!