Let me tell you something... So if this is your first time reading the blog, let me catch you up. I was in the middle of recounting my amazingly awkward and equally amazingly heart wrenching Middle East Trip this past summer. I finished writing as much as I wanted to of Madinah and am now going on to speaking of Makkah today.
So for today, I wanted to change my mundane posting style a bit. See, I like to play this game where I ask people to tell me the first word that pops into their heads immediately after I mention a person, place or thing. This psychological mind trick is supposed to reveal what your subconscious is really thinking about, instead of the often-times mentally edited information our mouth relays to others. So for my tales and memories of Makkah, I will conduct this word association test on myself. For today, I will analyze the word:
MAKKAH
For which I immediately associated the word "Jagged". This is a very appropriate adjective for the birthplace of the Prophet Muhammad (S), in my opinion, not only because it literally describes the rocky, unforgiving desert terrain that surrounds the Haram, but because it seems as if the people of the city are made of a much thicker skin and much tougher heart than any other I have ever met the world over.
The men are gruff in their manner of speech even to the women there, but it has to be noted that even the scrawniest of them looks like he could fight 10 Goliaths at once with sheer will alone before he lets harm come to those same females. I see modern day Makkans are the contemporary REAL vision of Hollywood revered Spartan Warriors. We as Muslims are informed in many primary sources about this same strong stoic nature of Makkan people even during and before the Prophet (S)'s time. And the respect and adoration peppered throughout these hadiths make me realize that these hard men are not something to be deplored, but rather people to be respected. I mean, who else could best protect Allah's land, His beloved masjid, but the steadfast, these men made of jagged rock?
I cannot be helped but be reminded of a diamond when thinking of Makkah in this context, for a diamond may be the toughest and most physically adept of all precious stones, but it is simultaneously the most adored, cherished and valued as well. Thus, it would be cheesy but not inaccurate to see Makkans then as the jagged 'diamonds in the rough'.
My Conclusion? Makkah is the point of unity for all Muslims and thus it is loved by all worsippers of God. However, the city is protected whole heartily mainly by its own people. All of us may have soft hearts overflowing with love for Allah's House, but it is the Makkans who openly drown in their reverence for the Holy City and thus are the ones made of sterner stuff. So next time you go to make Umrah or Hajj, forgive the Makkans their harshness and appreciate their intentions for their land and for our God.
More word associations dealing with Umrah and delving into Mona's psyche to come. My mind is an absolutely kooky place, I warn you. Be prepared.
1 comment:
Whoa..what a comparison!
Post a Comment