
Let me tell you something...
So I know in my last blog...or the one before that, I was seemingly very excited about telling all about my big Middle East Trip I took earlier this summer. However, my really short short-term memory has taken all the events I wanted to talk about from the trip (that at the time sounded really hilarious and creative) and tossed them into a black vortex of nothingness. Basically, I can't remember anything from more than a week ago without fudging the details (which drives Hana insane) and thus will not try to make these stories up. haha.
So here are some interesting incidents that occurred on the trip in point format instead of an entire post dedicated to each one as it would have been originally if it wasn't for my memory issue. Each one will only take up one sentence insha'Allah. This 'one sentence' clause is a personal test of sorts, to see if for once in my life I can say what I want to say concisely but by still keeping its full humorous flair. riiiiiight.
Today will be the memorable moments of the Umrah part of our trip starting in Madinah:
- Hana and my Mom get their shoes stolen in Masjid An-Nabawi and Hana hilariously runs back from the masjid to our hotel a street down barefoot on the hot black pavement while my equally barefoot Mom remains impervious to the burning ground and tries to barter with the street vendors on some abayas.
- Going all the way to Saudi Arabia only to eat at an American Kentucky Fried Chicken and then an Indian restaurant.
- Hana gets caught at the doorway of Masjid An-Nabawi by its ferocious female guards for having a camera on the premises and then gets a stern lecture from my Mom for not following rules, only to be the one who gets the last laugh when Mom gets caught by the same guards for carrying a cell phone camera.
- Praying in the Prophet's Masjid for the first time and feeling the most indescribable peace and clarity of mind and purpose I've ever felt in my life.
- Watching the rising sun paint the heavens with a majestic array of pink, gold, and lavender in the courtyard of the Masjid An-Nabawi after Fajr Prayer.
- Meeting literally a pack of identical Indonesian pilgrims who were so fascinated by the idea of American Muslims that they insisted on a photo shoot with us in the Masjid An-Nabawi with their iPhones while being constantly yelled at by the local women, "Haraam! Haraam!" (which they ignored).
- Becoming forever obsessed with Cadbury Milk Chocolate Bars after buying them on impulse at the Heathrow Airport on the way to Madinah.
-Giving my Salaam to the Prophet Muhammad (S) at his grave and feeling the tears prick my eyes and flow over as I fully comprehend the sheer and unshakable belief this man had to have in his Rabb to risk absolutely everything so His message could reach all the way to us, so many hundreds of years later.
My Conclusion? It feels great to be writing again, but I'm feeling sleepy like the old fogey I prematurely am becoming. Consequently, the rest of my memories are "To Be Continued..."
4 comments:
What a descriptive post! Red, gold, lavendar..almost feels like i was there.
KFC? Duuude, don't tell me you didn't have Al-Baik. Why else does one go to Saudi?
haha. Yes Nabila, actually we did eat at Al-Baik. It was pretty good too. The KFC chicken actually tasted more desi/deshi than ours here. Al-Baik was a lot better. =)
Dudee, Mona, your post makes me realize how much I miss Saudi!
And don't worry, we had KFC and Burger King in Medina too. :)
Post a Comment